[melbourne-pug] Group Project summary and ideas

Maurice Ling mauriceling at acm.org
Mon Jun 20 10:06:19 CEST 2005

>I think someone (Richard or Maurice?) suggested a SIG and I think that
>is a very good idea. There could be any number of SIGs which could
>discuss their special interests at meetings. I can see some SIGs might
>just report on developments in the wider world while others might reveal
>project progress from time to time.

The 1st mention of SIG was by Anthony in the meeting when he gave his
opening "speech" and his words were "SIG is possible as long as it does
not draw too much away from the main group."

>So, in agreeing with what most people in this thread have suggested,
>here is my summary. I think it would be good to have ...
>
>1. a list of presentation topics (as Anthony has already commenced)
>2. a list of SIGs for people to join if they wish
>3. time allocated for two 30-40 minute presentations per meeting
>4. only one SIG presentation per meeting and
>5. a culture of open discussion and constructive criticism

All agreed with both hands.

>Originally I did suggest a group project but I think the SIGs suggestion
>is much better. However, I still think that if any SIGs decide to do a
>project we maybe ought to consider IP ownership belonging to the group
>with a view to becoming open sourced. That idea doesn't have to be a
>showstopper. It could be a presentation topic in its own right.
>
>I know that would be a problem for Maurice's thesis work so I'm not
>really sure about all that. I know that my own IP in some areas must
>remain a deep secret - partly because it is shared - while in others I'd
>be happy to open source it. IP is a tricky thing all by itself and we
>can all learn some of the twists and turns by getting involved. That
>wouldn't be such a bad thing.

My PhD thesis work (which I did mention in one of the emails) are
currently sealed shut. It is a modeling platform, Mosirium, and a text
analysis platform, Muscorian. I think it is moral in the community that
if someone describes explains or describes this academic work (for the
thesis or what), nobody even thinks of rivaling it.

IP is a tricky issue. It almost requires a schizophreniac to get it well
and right. Having said that, I do have quite a bit of experiences with
IP issues from my former work and graduate school. As mentioned to me by
Prof. Frank Nicholas in Uni of Sydney, it is important to get on top of
IP issues.

As far as Centipyde is concerned, I still have absolute say. I've not
put in my proposal yet.

I think it is fair to say that for any SIG projects, the IP ownership
belongs to the group but entrusted upon the project lead. That is, the
project lead manages and executes the project IP for the group. This is
just to prevent too much red tapes.

Maurice