[Medusa-dev] Medusa FTP/SSL/TLC problem

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at netmemetic.com
Tue Dec 10 20:41:15 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:09:16AM -0500, Cavazos, Gustavo wrote:
> When starting the FTP/SSL version of Medusa, it tries to
> read  the randpool.dat file and gives this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "ftps_server.py", line 566, in ?
>     Rand.load_file('randpool.dat', -1)
> M2Crypto.SSL.SSLError: system lib

Have you tried supplying the full pathname to randpool.dat?

> Also, is reading and writing to the randpool file required to maintain
> randomness?

Depends on your operating system. On modern freeware Unices, OpenSSL reads
/dev/[u]random automatically, so loading randpool.dat is not necessary.

My demo programs load randpool.dat because M2Crypto also runs on Windows,
and will croak about 'PRNG not seeded' without that step on that platform.

My demo programs write back to randpool.dat in case someone just uses
randpool.dat, as supplied, for real: deadline pressure, "Hey, it works
finally!" and all that. Writing back to randpool.dat buys a little
security.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@netmemetic.com> * http://www.netmemetic.com