[Matrix-SIG] RE: Authoring tools (was Active arrays)

Jonah Lee ffjhl@uaf.edu
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:34:23 -0900 (AKST)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Scott M. Ransom wrote:

> I would have to agree that CVS'd LaTeX is the lesser of all of the
> evils.  It has the advantage of being free and available in one form or
> another on virtually every system out there.
>
> If a simple document class is chosen (and all required style files are
> included in CVS) I don't see why this would lead to a disaster.
>
> I have successfully managed to use CVS LaTeX in a collaborative manner
> before -- it is not the easiest thing to manage, but it is not difficult
> either.

I've used LyX to do the same (on several unix variants) and find it to
work quite well in a collaborative manner (using CVS). LyX is at a little
bit higher level than LaTeX so may have less problems in compatibility
among cvs users. One potential downside is that it may not be as easy to
install on non-Unix platforms. I never tried LyX on non-unix platforms,
but the installation instructions for LyX on those platforms seem somewhat
involved.

> Other problems could be minimized by a couple page "Author's Guide" to
> the NumPy documentation.
This is a good idea.

Regards,
Jonah