[Matrix-SIG] performance hit in c extensions

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:08:35 +0200

> The disk is not thrashing. Over 200 meg of memory is free when
> I run the program. When I call the function from my "big" program it starts
> off pretty quickly and then gradually slows to a crawl.
>
> So, it's not python. It seems to be memory related (I guess). Is

Just run "top" to check the memory size of the process (assuming of
course that you are using Unix, otherwise you should look for some
equivalent tool). At the same time you get the CPU time percentage
that the job gets, which is valuable information as well.

> there some limitation to the size of memory that the python
> interpreter can use?

No, unless imposed by the C compiler or the C runtime library or the
OS, or whatever else. But not by Python.

Konrad.