[Matrix-SIG] Q: scientific netcdf crashes python on import?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:59:05 +0100

> Hi folks. I've spent about 8 hours on this one, so maybe I could
> use some help. I'm trying to install the netCDF module from
> ScientificPython on a RH 6.0 linux box. The error is:
> 	Fatal python error: can't initialize module Scientific_netcdf
> The crash obviously occurs in NetCDF.py on the line

Can you import Numerical Python correctly? Just start Python and type
"import Numeric". If that doesn't work, importing netCDF won't work
either, because it does the equivalent of "import Numeric" internally.
That (i.e. a missing or faulty NumPy installation) is the most
frequent cause for this error message in my experience. Also check if
your netCDF library is working (e.g. by running the ncdump utility).

> OK, not being a guru, I tried (1) loading all the python RPMs and the
> new ScientificPython RPM, and/or (2) building both (and including
> NumPy source to do so) from source. Several times, in case I wasn't
> cleaning up after myself. To  no avail.

Which RPMs are you using? My laptop is a RedHat 6.0 system as well,
and it runs everything fine, using the RedHat Python RPMs, the NumPy
RPMs from Oliver Andrich's collection, and the ScientificPython RPMs
from my Web site.

Konrad.