[MATRIX-SIG] compiling NumPy for Windows

David Ascher da@skivs.ski.org
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:37:52 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> > (I learned that trick from Fredrick's tk extension for Win32). That seems
> > awfully nasty - am I doing something wrong? I'm guessing that the judicious
> > use of USE_DL_EXPORT or USE_DL_IMPORT might get rid of the problem...
> >
> > Building extensions on the PC is not painless, but it's doable.
>
> Perhaps some Windows wizard could prepare instructions on what can
> and cannot be done with Windows DLLs and how to do it correctly.
> Ideally in such a way that Unix people can make their modules
> Windows compatible without having to test it on Windows!

Konrad, you'll be glad to know that numpy_ez builds fine on Windows.
There are things the windows person needs to do to configure the build,
but no modifications to your source were needed.

Harri Pasanen, Paul Dubois and myself have been talking about these things
as we're helping each other build various things on Windows.  Maybe
someday in my spare time (Ha!) I'll make a "Microsoft Visual C for Unix
Makefile Hackers" document...

--da

This message brought to you by the National Non-Sequitur Society
We may not make sense, but the panda is a giant racoon.