[MATRIX-SIG] Re: [PYTHONMAC-SIG] MacPython v1.5b3 / NumPy bugs?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 21:46:03 +0100

Recently, Konrad Hinsen <hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr> said:
> But just an idea: are you sure the f2c generated code works on the
> Mac at all? It makes assumptions about the relative sizes of
> various data types, which might not be true on the Mac. In that
> case you might be overwriting essential data in common blocks.

">*WHAT?!*<", he says, grabbing the table and trying to steady his
breath... Since the C code, not the fortran code, is distributed it
might be a good idea to put some asserts somewhere that these
assumptions hold...

But, luckily, the f2c code seems to work on the mac. For all three
architectures (PPC, classic 68k, cfm68k) I use
sizeof(int)==sizeof(long)==4 and sizeof(double)==8. This seems what
f2c expects: PPC and classic 68k appear to work fine (except for this
little bug), cfm68k (which is 68k code but with a ppc-ish memory
model) has problems, but I'll get back with those when I have more
details (unless I can solve it myself).

Unless f2c (or something else) also expects IEEE floating point?
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm