[MATRIX-SIG] Regression tests

Bruce Duncan bsd@scripps.edu
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:51:54 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

The python interpreter has an extensive set of regression tests.
Unfortunately, Numeric and related modules
(UserArray, LinearAlgebra, etc.) do not.
I have found several limitations, (but, as yet, no bugs) in Numeric,
however, I have found LinearAlgebra to have problems.
(The fact that I could not compute the eigenvalues of an
identity matrix (on a DEC alpha) was particularly troubling.)

I hope that in the next release of Numeric there are more extensive
regression tests and more warnings if (when) things go awry.
Liberal use of the python 1.5 assert statement should help.

In the interim, I've used SWIG to wrap some routines from
Numerical Recipes in C.  These routines may not be as fast, but
may be more reliable.  For scientific computations, the reliability
of the core numeric programs is CRITICAL.

-bsd-

Bruce Duncan
The Scripps Research Institute
bsd@scripps.edu