[MATRIX-SIG] Change slice object?

Janko Hauser jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 08:57:35 +0100 (CET)

Chase, Christopher J (Chris), NNAD writes:
 > With your suggested change, what would using slice(0,5,None) mean?
 >  Would that be an error?

I think this should then be an error, but this construct is then not
present, because the default of slice.step should then always be 1.

Is it possible to implement this slice handling only for multiarray
objects?

Uh, I see now that slices can not be used like expected for lists

Python 1.4 (Sep  1 1997)  [GCC 2.7.2.1]
>>> a=[1,2,3,4,5]
>>> a[slice(0,3,1)]
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ValueError: standard sequence type does not support step size other than one
>>> a[slice(0,3)]
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ValueError: standard sequence type does not support step size other than one
>>> a[slice(0,3,None)]
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ValueError: standard sequence type does not support step size other than one

Is this right?

__Janko