[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Numeric Python 1.0 Beta 2 is available

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:53:52 +0100

> I'm not really sure if this objection is very strong, I think it is
> probably not.  Suppose you have a python installed with
> --prefix=/over/there.  Somewhere else in your filespace, you are
> developing your foobar package.  You archive your old stuff under
> /here/foobar/oldstuff, not under /over/there/foobar/oldstuff.  I mean
> really, who develops in an install tree?  Certainly not me.  But the

Me neither. But I am not sure whether Python could be persuaded
easily to treat just one entry in sys.path differently. Or,
alternatively, whether it can be made to add all subdirectories
in the library directory to sys.path. Either way it looks like
a major modification of the path handling code is necessary.

> I maintian that this would be a huge win for python extension
> development.

I certainly agree!
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais