[MATRIX-SIG] Binaries for NumPy

Timothy A. Hochberg hochberg@wwa.com
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:02:35 -0500 (CDT)

I just upgraded to linux 2.0 on my linux box, and lo and behold I was able
to build NumPy and NumPyLib as clean extensions (something I hadn't been
able to get working before for whatever reason....) And it got me thinking
that if we could provide pre-built clean extensions for common unix
platforms, we could make installing NumPy really simple for people. On
Linux the install instructions would be:

(A distribution consisting of the .so and .py (and .pyc?) files in a
directory called, say, NumPyDist would be provided in a tar.gz file.)

1. Unpack the distribution in some directory we'll call <source> (e.g.,
   /usr/local/src).

2. Add the following two lines to the end of your .bashrc and/or
   .bash_login files (assuming you use bash, otherwise....)

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:<source>/NumPyDist
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:<source>/NumPyDist

Or something like that...

I think this would really lower the investment in time needed to try out
NumPy and consequently we'd end up with more users. What do other people
think? How many platforms would we be able to round up binaries for? Where
would we put it?

 ____
  /im

|Tim Hochberg            Research Assistant      |
|hochberg <at> wwa.com   University of Illinois  |
|                        Electrical Engineering  |