[MATRIX-SIG] [long] A NO-Proposal for a plot-package

Daniel Michelson Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 08:52:51 +0200

Hej,

I've also been monitoring the plotting discussions and can't quite grasp
why the xmgr package has not been mentioned in this context. As free
scientific plotting packages go, I find it quite complete and versatile,
although it, as all others, does have a number of limitations. I've
built a v e r y primitive interface to our Python-based weather radar
software using xmgr.

If it's worth looking into, do so at
http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Xmgr/

This having been said, I use unix and xmgr is designed for X. I can't
say if/how it could be made more universal in a way which would suit the
entire Python community. Have others already written off xmgr because of
this?

I would certainly support a NumPy- or PIL-based plotting module, for
reasons previously presented by others on this sig, if it is finally
determined that this is a wheel which would have to be reinvented in
order for it to be acceptable...

best, -d

|                  | Daniel B. Michelson                              |
| /\ |\  /| |  | | | Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute|
| \  | \/ | |__| | | S-601 76 Norrk=F6ping, Sweden                      |=

|  \ |    | |  | | | Telephone: +46 11 - 15 84 94                     |
| \/ |    | |  | | | Telefax:   +46 11 - 17 02 07                     |
|                  | Internet:  Daniel.Michelson@smhi.se              |