[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] HP problem

Geoffrey Furnish furnish@laura.llnl.gov
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:12:55 -0800

Konrad Hinsen writes:
 > > Using gcc is not really fine except under certain conditions.  If you
 > > try to compile with -g, you can't make a shared module b/c of problems
 > > with the size of some symbol table (and using -fPIC doesn't solve the
 > > problem).
 >
 > True, but I see no reason to compile the LAPACK code with -g. I use
 > gcc only for the two modules that cc can't handle, so that shouldn't
 > cause too much trouble.

The way it happened to me seems innocent enough:  I tried to build a
debuggable Python, so everything got compiled with -g, and the NumPy
stuff wouldn't compile/link.  Python's build procedure is not very
well configured for the purpose of selectively compiling different
parts with different options, and linking them all together.  This
seems understandable to me, since that would be a monster autoconf
job.  Instead, it would seem much more reasonable if the entire code
base could be compiled -g.  NumPy is the only portion of Python I am
aware of which makes this problematic.  In any event, I am not
currently trying to build a debuggable Python, so for me, this is
moot at the present time.

 > > Exactly /how/ does one configure out the lapack_lite stuff and switch
 > > to using the fortran versions.  That has not been convered in anything
 > > I've personally read.
 >
 > Because it's machine dependent. Here are the instructions for HP/UX:
 > [...]

Thanks.

--
Geoffrey Furnish		email: furnish@llnl.gov
LLNL X/ICF			phone: 510-424-4227	fax: 510-423-0925