[MATRIX-SIG] Final NumPy 1.0

Janko Hauser jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:31:03 +0100 (CET)

Hello, I welcome the decision to build to a final NumPy ver. 1.0. I
would like to raise some questions regarding this.

I think this package will be something for a pythoneer, who want's to
build some numbercrunching programs. We are currently not on the way
to a real integrated development enviroment for scientific
computation. But I also think, something like this is very doable. But
there is the question, if this is wanted. This is especially important
for the documentation of the hole package (not the different
functions). So, should somebody without knowlege of python be able to
grab a tar ball and install a working NumPy, or do we focus currently
only a pythoneer who wants to install an extension?

Do we help people, if we include more code, which are wrappers over
the more general functions (sum, cumsum vs. add.reduce)?

For the further extensibility we need e repository with more
code. It's important to have the code at one place and don't have
links to various locations, so a homogeneous representation to the
public is possible.

I think there should be included some code to read and write some
ascii-data. Everybody has some data lying around, with which he/she
wants to work.

And Timothy Hochberg has perhaps the currently better implementation
of a UserArray class at his starship side.

And at the end, I thank you for your efforts to do this work.

OK, that's it :-)

__Janko