[MATRIX-SIG] NumPy and 1.5, and NumPy and MacPython

Harri Pasanen pa@tekla.fi
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:49:01 +0200

L. Busby writes:
> [Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> wrote ]
> >Folks, two remarks,
> >- as you are probably already aware the NumPy test suite fails inder
> >  1.5 because of the new exception handling.

Should be noted, that it is the test_items.py that needs fixing, not
NumPy itself.

> >- The download page page for NumPy mentions the windows- and
> >  unix-distributions, but not the mac distribution. As of 1.5 NumPy is
> >  included in the standard MacPython distribution as an optional
> >  install option, and NumPy for MacPython 1.4 is available through
> >  http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython.
> >
> >Is a new NumPy release planned for the near future (I'm using 1.0b3 at
> >the moment, which still seems to be the latest release)?
>
> [ "Paul F. Dubois" <dubois1@llnl.gov> replied ]
> >We (LLNL) will release a 1.5-compatible NumPy when we have one and can
> >compile it on Windows. We'll send it to you first so you can see if it works
> >on the Mac.
>
> Let's (matrix-sig) talk a little more about the release process for
> NumPy.  The most direct answer I can give now to Jack's question is
> that I want to put out a release of NumPy as soon as we practically can
> after Python-1.5 is officially released.  Here's some questions that
> occur to me:
>
>   1)  How do we ``release'' NumPy?
> 	a) Which site has the ``master'' copy?

I think www.python.org is the logical place for the master copy, it gets
automatically mirrored.

But about any place is fine, provided it is prominently displayed and
has links from the web pages at www.python.org.

> 	b) Which are the mirror sites?
> 	c) Who takes care of mirroring?
> 	d) How do we accomodate our 3 primary architectures in the release?
> 	    + UNIX
> 	    + WINDOWS
> 	    + MACINTOSH
>
>   2)  What goes into NumPy-1.0?
> 	a) Compatible with Python-1.5 (and 1.4, ...).
> 	b) What else?
>
> I would appreciate all comments to help me structure the release to be
> simple and accessible.  I'll use your comments and requests to develop
> a release procedure, then post it for your review.
>
> Thanks - Lee Busby

I have a compiled NumPy on NT for Python 1.5.  It is based on Konrad
Hinsen's NumPy release, which is a bit modified presumably for easier
installation on Unix systems.  As it is, Konrad's release modifies the
C API slightly, so that old NumPy.dll is no longer compatible, and is
in fact replaced by _numpy.pyd, which is an internally imported python
extension module.   I haven't done much with it so far, but I've
verified that the test_all.py script passes without errors (meaning I
have fixed test_items.py to comply with Python 1.5).  It should be
possible to do test_*.py scripts that run properly under both Python
1.4 and 1.5, but I did not bother.

Note that the sources could use some cleanup, they compile with tons
of warnings, but without errors.  Also I'm not sure how widely people
use the C API directly, and if Konrad's changes are acceptable to
everyone.  I've made some changes to sources (mainly .def files), but
the distribution should still compile without added problems on Unix.

I've packaged the binaries to an installer so that it drops in place
on top of Python 1.5 binary distribution, much as the old numpy did.
If anyone would like to try this, drop me a line.  Also, I can provide
the source + project workspace if there is interest.   I don't know
what version to stamp on those, and I'm not looking to be a
maintainer, so I'll gladly donate these to the 'central authority',
which shall be LLNL if I've understood correctly?

Thanks,

Harri