[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] function not supported?

Tommy Burnette tommy@kerner.com
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:36:06 -0700

Hey there,

I picked up the latest (I think it's the latest?) Numeric extensions
after Jim H. posted that it was about ready for primt time.  I got the
package from: http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/~jjh/numpy about three or
four weeks ago.  It all built fine and imports okay, but every other
test program I have for it fails in about the same way.  Here's what
happened when I ran the mandelbrot.py Demo:

(tommy@derlin)/u0/tommy$ python -i /net/gs/src/lib/NumPy/Demo/mandelbrot.py
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/net/gs/src/lib/NumPy/Demo/mandelbrot.py", line 25, in ?
    print draw(-2.1, 0.7, -1.2, 1.2)
  File "/net/gs/src/lib/NumPy/Demo/mandelbrot.py", line 10, in draw
    xx=arange(LowX,HighX,(HighX-LowX)/stepx)
  File "/u1/gfx/lib/python/NumPy/Numeric.py", line 28, in arrayrange
    m = (add.accumulate(ones((n,), Int))-1)*step + (start + stop-stop)
  File "/u1/gfx/lib/python/NumPy/Numeric.py", line 301, in ones
    return zeros(shape, typecode)+array(1, typecode)
ValueError: function not supported

It appears that multiarrays do not support the "+" operator.  Strange
since they are used this way all over the modules that I've looked
at.  When I walked through the multiarray source I couldn't find
anything that seemed to support the "+" or "__add__" or anything like
that.  So who's out of synch here?  What am I missing?  Thanks,

							Tommy.