[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Data analysis package question

Geoffrey Furnish furnish@laura.llnl.gov
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:21:26 -0800

Perry A. Stoll writes:
 > PLplot is a bear to compile. I've had a fair amount of experience working
 > with large software projects, and getting PLplot to the point where I
 > could use it, in or out of python, took a significant amount of work. Way
 > too much, in my opinion. And it even uses gnu configure.

Gnu configure is not magic.  But that does not excuse the fact that
there have been bugs in PLplot's configure.  I have corrected a couple
dozen such bugs in the last two snapshots.  Have you tried a recent
version? 961023 is the first one where the configure worked even close
to my satisfaction, and even so I have made many corrections more
since that snapshot.  I do not know when the next snapshot will be,
but it won't be long.  Bottom line, this criticism is getting
significant attention these days.

 > PLplot needs to be better integrated into Python. Namely, it should _not_

I heard, (before I became a Python user), that Guido refused to
include the PLplot module in the python modules set.  That seems
unfortunate to me, since it is clearly easier to build the modules
which are provided in the python tree than it is to build modules
provided seperately, but I didn't and can't influence that decision.
The best I can do now is provide the best instructions possible for
performing the integration.  The 961023 snapshot has a lengthy
description of how to do this, and I have personally done it in short
order on 4 platforms in the last week.  I think it is getting better.
If you have further suggestions, please send them in.

 > simply exit when it can not allocate a desired color. This behaviour has

This problem has been a source of irritation to many, and has had
nothing to do with python.  As it happens, I have recently made
changes in the XColor allocation in an attempt to ameliorate this.  I
have peole testing the new x driver, and once it seems like the
problem is really fixed, I will cut a new snapshot.

 > forced me to stop using it. I'd be doing some analysis in a Python
 > interpreter, decide I'd like to visualize the result and import plplot.
 > I try to open a plot and it quits with a message along the lines of
 > "couldn't allocate color FOOBAR. Quitting..." losing all the data I'd
 > spent time working to get.

I understand and agree that this is unacceptable.  Hopefully it will
soon be a distant memory.

 > There was very little documentation or support information. Such as which
 > version of plplot (4.99alpha.k.1.4.5.6  or 4.99.gamma.j.3.4.2.1) the
 > given plplot module worked with.

PLplot does nto have independent funding.  It does have a maililng
list.  I have never seen a user of the plmodule post a complaint to
the PLplot mailing list...

 > Ok, you say, we'll gladly accept patches to fix it. I did submit some
 > small patches to the author of the PLplot module, but I don't have the
 > time or inclination to make any more.

The python module did not used to be maintained by the PLplot
maintainer.  Now it is.  If you submit patches to me, they will
eventually work their way into the PLplot repository.  The rate at
which this happens depends critically on the quality of the submitted
patch.

 > My general impression was that PLplot was overkill for my simple
 > visualization needs - plots, contour maps and surfaces. I guess I'm
 > just saying to those considering using PLplot from within Python -
 > it's not an easy road to travel.

I will not dispute your historical perspective.  I would like to
project a more encouraging tone to future takers.  PLplot's python
module is (now) being actively used by me on a daily basis.  That
makes all the difference in the world in terms of what the python
community can expect in the way of ongoing support.

--
Geoffrey Furnish		email: furnish@llnl.gov
LLNL X/ICF			phone: 510-424-4227	fax: 510-423-6172