[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Alpha release of new tutorial for 1.0a5

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:43:17 -0400 (EDT)

I'm putting up an alpha version of the tutorial for people to get both
some documentation (some is better than none, assuming it's mostly
correct) and a chance to give me some feedback before the beta
release.  It's far from finished, but I suspect it'd be helpful even
now to many readers of matrix-sig (and even more to non-readers of
matrix-sig!).

I have to get back to work (real work, I mean), so I'm going to stop
for a little while.  I will find the time to fix mistakes and
incorporate new ideas which are pointed out to me (it's the original
thinking which I don't have the time for).  Specifically, I know that
I need good tutorial descriptions and examples for the uses of:

	compress()
	sort()
	argsort()
	binarysearch()
	indices()
	matrixmultiply()

and everywhere else there are XXX's.  I'd take replacement examples
for all the others, if they have good didactic value.

Oh, and the LinearAlgebra and Matrix packages are almost not
documented (I couldn't remember what a generalized inverse or SVD
was... shame on me).  A good example of the linear least squares fit
would be nice too.

Anyway, it's at

	http://maigret.cog.brown.edu/Python/Extensions/Numeric

And there are HTML, DVI, TeX, Info, Text and PS versions (TIM is
pretty cool really!).

--david