[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Tela/Python conversion help needed

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Wed, 8 May 1996 14:41:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks.

I've ported the fftpack routines which are part of Tela into a python
module, which is fine.  Now I need to port a little piece of Tela code
which does the n-dimensional fft's out of the 1-d fft routines.

I've given it a try, but my nonexistent knowledge of tela and my
lack of experience with multidimensional fft's makes it a hard thing for
me to debug.

Does anyone out there feel willing to help me with this conversion?

Let me know.

--david

PS: Tela seems to have a nice set of routines which I'd like to see
in Python.  What do you think?  From the "Tela Feature List":

Linear algebra: matrix inversion, matrix product, eigenvalues,
eigenvectors, determinant, LU, Cholesky, singular value decompositions
and linear system solution.

Full set of fast Fourier transform routines. In addition to ordinary
complex and real FFTs there are sine, cosine, plus quarter-wave sine and
cosine transforms. All routines can work along any dimension in an
N-dimensional real or complex array, making it possible e.g. to solve
any constant-coefficient elliptic boundary value problem in 2D or 3D
with any boundary conditions (Dirichlet, Neumann or periodic type; each
boundary may have its own type of boundary condition). An example how
this is done is included in the distribution (testpoisson.t).

Unix commands can be run under Tela control. Standard input and output
can be mapped to Tela strings. C stdio like functions for manipulating
files.

Can work with HDF, netCDF (vers.>=1.23), plain ASCII, MATLAB binary
files (MAT-files) and PBM (PPM, PGM) image files directly. Graphics can
be saved as PostScript and GIF from the PlotMTV program. Can interface
to XV.

Graphics: 2D and 3D line and curve plots, contour plots, density plots,
vector field plots and surface plots. Cartesian intersection surfaces in
3D space. Bar charts and histograms.

Possibility to redraw existing windows or create new window for each new
plot.  Possibilities for overlaying and stacking plots and saving them
in PostScript or GIF files.  Possibility to annotate plots with text
strings and simple geometric primitives. Palette can be changed and
nonuniform grids can be used (vers>=1.23).

Numerical analysis: linear interpolation (intpol), integration
(integrate), function minimization (fmin), root finding (roots, fsolve),
linear regression (fitline, fitlinear), nonlinear fitting (fitnl).

Preliminary version of special function package (specfun.t), which
contains a relatively complete set of special functions.