[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Data i/o and Numeric module

Duncan Child djc@lct.com
Mon, 9 Dec 96 14:56:50 CST

Hello,

I've read the documentation and can't see a way to load data directly
from a file into a Numeric array. I am guessing that if you have a lot
of data ( 2000 * 2000 points say ) then it would be better not to incur
the overhead of loading the data into a Numeric array via a Python list.

The data I need to access is currently either in Fortran binary files or
flat ASCII files.

Am I right in thinking that it would be better for me to code/use an
extension that imports data directly into Numeric arrays rather than an
extension to load my data into intermediate Python lists?

Is there any documentation or existing code that could act as a template?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions,

Duncan