[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Default Axes revisited

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 17:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

> Structural Operations have a default axis of 0
> Numeric/Computational Operations have a default axis of -1
>
> However, because I don't think it's always obvious what's a structural and
> what's a numeric operation, all numeric operations will have a "_" after
> their name.

Ugh.  Not underscores again.

I don't like this at all.  I'd much rather go for something more
explicit, like:

	do_sort, do_argmax, do_argsort, do_fft
or:
	doSort, doArgmax, doArgsort, doFft
or:
	sortOf, argmaxOf, argsortOf, fftOf

or any combination thereof

which at least can be *read* easily.  Otherwise we will end up with:

	def __numericprivatefunc_(foo, bar):...

someday, which I'd hate to explain to any newbie... =)

--da