[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Just checking in

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 29 Aug 96 09:53:01 +0100

> > 2) Dynamic linking (problems on many architectures)
>
> What is the nature of these problems?  I believe that Python 1.4beta3 supports
> dynamic linking on most architectures.  (BTW for NT I had to replace the

As for HP systems, I am reasonably convinced that the problem with
NumPy alpha2 is the fake module "libnumpy". After a careful study of
the HP documentation, I conclude that there are two ways to use
shared libraries:

1) Explicit loading, which is what Python does when importing
   a module.

2) Linking with a shared library, which is then loaded as soon as
   one of its functions is called. This works only if the shared
   library is in the same place as it was during linking. (Other
   systems, e.g. SGI, let the user specify a search path for this
   case.)

NumPy uses the second method for libnumpy (which contains
arrayobject.o and ofuncobject.o), but after installation it must fail.

A possible solution would be to make libnumpy a real importable
module and import it from the modules that need it.

Konrad.

Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-76.88.54.94
41, Ave. des Martyrs                   | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais