[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] naming conventions

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:14:26 -0400

Jean-Bernard ADDOR wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Jim Hugunin wrote:
> >
> > complexcode(32)
> > floatcode(32)
> > intcode(16)
> >
> What about floatcode(16), I have arrays of more than 1 000 000 elements,
> I need to save memory.

Float16 will not be suported.  Float32 and Float64 are the only sizes of
float that I know are supported natively on architectures that I'm
familiar with.  I would guess that Float128 will work on Crays (and
others?)

I have no desire to support any data types other than the native C ones
(and complex numbers which are too important to ignore).

Besides, if you really want to store only 16 bits of precision you
should probably be using fixed precision numbers anyway (and Int16 will
work just fine).

-Jim