[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Empty matrix implementation references

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:51:25 -0400

Konrad Hinsen wrote:

>    n-dimensional arrays, n>=1, by adding missing dimensions to arrays as
>    usual. For example, if a.shape=(0,n), it should probably behave as if
>    a.shape=(1,1,0,n), when involved in an operation with a (possibly
>    empty) 4-d array. This doesn't seem to conflict with the present
>    handling of 0-d arrays (scalars), either.
>
> Any good book on APL2 contains a detailed discussion on empty arrays
> in complicated cases. Empty arrays are not just a curiosity, but an essential
> part of APL-style programming.

Let me repeat here.  I think empty arrays are very important, and unlike
the 0.36 release, this new release really does handle empty arrays.
Please do continue to point out specific problems, but I think I have
the basic design well under control.  If you find this isn't true, I'd
like to see some examples of code that doesn't work as expected.

-Jim