[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Standard Numerical Library

Jim Hugunin jjh@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 18:33:21 -0400

I'm getting tired of explaining to people why the Numeric Extensions =
don't contain matrix inversion or fft operators.  I intend to fix this =
by providing a standard library with the 1.0 release of the system.  The =
primitive fftmodule in the current alpha1 release is my start on this.

Here are my plans for this library, please comment:

1) Based on LAPACK and FFTPACK FORTRAN libraries, but only using the =
subset available with the RLab distribution.  This is a very nice =
version of these libraries in C, and on every system I have available =
they've compiled with "./configure; make" without a hitch (like some =
scripting languages I know).  They also seem to compile fairly easily =
under NT.  I'd distribute these packages as well for people without the =
"real" libraries on their machines.

2) Implementing a bare minimum of functionality, in a simple, clean, =
unsophisticated way.

ie. fft( (0,0,1,1) ) will just work.  No need to setup work areas, etc.

3) Implementing the "basic" functions

1D FFT
Matrix Inversion
Matrix Eigenvalues