[PYTHON MATRIX-SIG] Re: Python vs Perl: benchmarking for speed?

Michael McLay mclay@eeel.nist.gov
Tue, 5 Dec 95 08:28:54 EST

Hinsen Konrad (hinsenk@cyclone.ERE.UMontreal.CAwrites:
> It seems to me that the argument you replied to was a purely
> hypothetical one, to illustrate the usefulness of tabulated
> benchmarks. Noone suggests that Perl takes ten times more time
> for a given problem than Python. In fact, I would be very much
> surprised if the difference between Perl and Python would ever
> reach a factor of ten in any direction for any problem.

What an invitation.  How about doing that benchmark comparison of
Python matrix math vs. Perl matrix math that the world has been
waiting for.  I can't wait to see the results:-)

Michael