[Matplotlib-users] Animation examples

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni at fastmail.com
Thu Oct 17 22:49:50 EDT 2019

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, at 9:22 PM, Ryan May wrote:
> From the late John Hunter, creator of matplotlib:
>
> http://nipy.org/nipy/faq/johns_bsd_pitch.html

FWIW, and speaking as a longstanding advocate of BSD, I think that the second part of this sentence:

> In my experience, the benefits of collaborating with the private sector are real, whereas the fear that some private company will “steal” your product and sell it in a proprietary application leaving you with nothing is not.

has changed in recent years. Python is massive and in my field, for example, microscope manufacturers are bundling the Scientific Python ecosystem in their proprietary software that is then sold on for tens of thousands of dollars — per year, because subscription software is the thing now.

imho, *at a minimum*, direct modifications to the software should always be contributed back. John Kirkham recently pointed me to the Mozilla Public License (MPL) that makes that requirement, while still allowing proprietary code to be distributed together with the open source component. I need to stew on this more, but I might start advocating for that instead.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/MPL/

Juan.