[Matplotlib-users] Why are matplotlib RGB images of dimensions (row, column, plane)

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Wed Aug 5 15:09:16 CEST 2015

I think it has to do with the conventions used by PIL way back in the day.
To me, the current conventions make sense to me because imshow can work
with just a simple 2D image. Color is then additional dimensions (and thus
at the end).  If I slice up an image like so: `im[20:40, 50:80]`, then
imshow will work as expected regardless if that image was a 2D grayscale
image or a 3D RGB[A] image.

Cheers!
Ben Root