[Matplotlib-devel] Documentation

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 13 12:38:51 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Matt Arcidy <marcidy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree, though I'm curious if we still can't get one entry point which
> then fans out.  very basic, pyplot.plot() even.  more about plotting than
> python, matplotlib, math, geometry, etc.

sure -- but you can't use matplotlib if you don't know how to call a method
(or a function), and maybe a bit about keyword arguments, etc. Granted,
many (most?) folks learn well by simply following examples -- show them
what to type, and they'll adapt it to their needs, but I think newbies
would really benefit from a bit more of the "why you type it this way", and
more experienced folks will find that annoying.

Maybe optional "sidebars" in the initial tutorial? -- links to "how this
works" kinds of things.

For instance, the first time a keyword argument is used, a link to a brief
tutorial on keyword arguments. If people want to know more, they follow
that link -- if they already understand kw args, then then skip on by...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov