[Mailman3-dev] Problem with the schema

Mark Bucciarelli mark at gaiahost.coop
Wed Mar 30 15:29:22 CEST 2005

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> But what happens if List-B gets deleted?  Do we delete Roster-B?  Do we
> leave it hanging around because List-C refers to it?

I guess it makes sense to leave Rosters hanging around as a separate
entity.  Perhaps a checkbox (default to True) on the mailing list delete
page that says "Remove orphan Rosters?"

Although every config option increases complexity and the sample space
for tests.  But I'm not sure what the most common use case would be.

> Also, can we know
> how many mailing lists are referring to a particular Roster?  Remember
> too that we can re-use Rosters as the list of owners or moderators.

I don't have the schema.py handy on this box (and I can't remember the
svn url--list.org/svn/mailman3 didn't work), but somewhere we must store
the link between the list(s) and roster(s).

> The question is whether it makes sense to "delete a mailing list",
> especially when we have to support the use case of deleting a list but
> keeping its archives around for posterity.

For me, it would violate the principle of least astonishment if I could
not vaporize a list and everything associated with it.  I think JCL's
suggestion was good--there are different levels of delete.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. No need to copy me on replies, I am subscribed.