[Mailman3-dev] list manager control

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 15 16:49:46 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 14:00, Erez Zadok wrote:

> 1. I maintain about 30 lists.  I'd like it to be possible for my browser to
>    'remember' a cookie and my password so I don't have to type my admin
>    passwd each time.

+1.  The way I see it is that you will have one login per Mailman site
(note that on virtual host systems, you will have one login per virtual
host).  Once you've logged in, you will have permission to admin any
list you are an owner of, or change your profile, which includes
information about all the lists you're a member of.

> 2. Is it possible to configure the frequency and date(s) when mailman sends
>    out subscription notifications?  I also like to be able to click on
>    button to send a notification to a single user that forgot their
>    password.

I'm not sure I understand.  Do you mean password reminders?  (See my
some of the things they now have to do via a user's options page.

> 3. I often carefully configure one list, then I want to clone it (I don't
>    want to change the global defaults b/c I have several 'classes' of
>    lists).  I have to first create the new list, then dump one old list's
>    config, edit it by hand, then reconfigure the new list with the edited
>    config.  I'd like a simple command that'd automate much of this for me:
>    that is, a "cp-list" command that will clone a list fully, and just ask
>    me a few questions like "full name for the list" and "do you want to
>    migrate the subscribership and/or archives"?

+1.  List styles.  Yes, yes, yes.  I'm not sure whether styles will be
hierarchical or flat though.

> 4. I'd like an integrated (Web) interface for people to manage lists: create
>    new lists (subject to someone's overall authority to approve it), and
>    close+destroy lists permanently.

While you will be able to run Mailman 3 with no web interface, or a web
interface of your own design, I really want the default one to be much
more usable than MM2's.  It should also be moderately more
customizable.  But I'm not a html artist, so we'll have to recruit one,
or grow them from our own community.

-Barry