[Mailman3-dev] Flexible data storage

Erez Zadok ezk at cs.sunysb.edu
Mon Mar 15 16:31:43 EST 2004

In message <1079385858.5149.261.camel at anthem.wooz.org>, Barry Warsaw writes:
> On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 13:26, Kevin McCann wrote:
> > I am going down to the sprint this weekend with one main mission:  to
> > see if I can influence the design and development such that Mailman 3
> > will support SQL database data storage - as a choice - for the 3 main
> > data sources:
> >
> > - list config
> > - member information
> > - message archives
>
> I actually think there may be four data sources.  I've been thinking
> that we may want to separate out member information and what might be
> called authentication information.  Specifically the latter is "username
> and password", where for our purposes, username is probably email
> address (but this may not be evident in the interface).

BTW, it'd be nice if the subscriber list and their passwords will also be
encrypted on disk somehow.  I fear the day when hackers manage to break into
mailing list systems just to steal a huge subscriber list.

And, while I'm on the subject of extensibility, how about a hook to force
passwords to expire and have to be changed; and another hook for enforcing
password quality (min/max length, mix of alpha, numbers, upper/lower case,
special chars, etc.).

Erez.