[Mailman-Users] how to disable main mailman-request and mailman list without stopping mailman functionality

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue Jan 28 06:13:58 EST 2020

Thank you Mark for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

On 2020-01-27 15:52, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 1/26/20 9:03 AM, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>>
>> PS. I had mailman not advertised by default but some Debian update a
>> while back seem to have made it advertised. I disabled the advertising
>> of the list but the spam keeps coming. Maybe disable advertising by
>> default for the mailman default list?
>
> First, advertised or not, it is well known that every Mailman 2.1
> installation has a site list, usually called mailman. Also the
> mailman at example.com address is exposed on both the listinfo and admin
> overview pages in the web UI.
>
>> What are the recommended steps?
>
> It depends on how your MTA deliveres to Mailman. If it uses aliases, you
> can change the mailman-request alias in mailman's aliases, but if
> Mailman automatically generates these, that may get undone. A better
> approach is to put an alias for the mailman-request and maybe other
> mailman- addresses in an alias file that is processed before Mailman's
> aliases or delivery. You can use these to send the mail to /dev/null or
> to some user or mailbox if you want to see the mail.

So how can I make a alias for all mailman- addresses that go to /dev/null?

mailman version 1:2.1.23-1+deb9u4

# /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases --help
Regenerate Mailman specific aliases from scratch.

Does not give me much useful informaiton.

Kind regards,

Jelle de Jong