[Mailman-Users] msg marked as spam 554 5.7.1 [P4]

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sun Jan 5 04:56:01 EST 2020

Jim Dory writes:

 > I have one problem that when a particular user (the city) sends an
 > announcement, it tends to bounce hundreds of mainly one ISP's users.. that
 > ISP being Alaska's GCI.com .

I assume you mean that the attempt to deliver to users at GCI bounce
back to you?

What we would like to see is the delivery service message from GCI
which explains why the message is being refused.

 > Sometimes I do get this: host mx1.arandomserver.com [198.252.100.64]
 >     SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
 >     550 Headers contain illegal BOM
 > on my personal email from the same sender (city), but not sure that is same
 > issue.

I don't understand.  You say it's personal mail *from the city*, but
you're getting the bounce message?  That should not happen; the bounce
message should go to the city.

 > The city usually includes a link to the city codes on a public webpage -
 > perhaps that triggers GCI.

Are you saying there's a link in the header?  Those are common (eg,
Mailman can be configured to put certain links in the header), and
should not cause problems if correctly formed.  Nothing in the content
should cause any kind of bounce except a 552 "We don't like your mail
for some reason" Administrative Denial (or perhaps another 55x
response.

 > I could post one of the headers in total but it is probably about 3 pages
 > worth.

That's nothing.  Don't hesitate.  It's much more annoying to have to

 > Everything sort of looks ok to me except I notice this:
 > BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1% [score: 0.0000] 0.0
 > RCVD_IN_DNSWL_BLOCKED RBL: ADMINISTRATOR NOTICE: The query to DNSWL was
 > blocked. See http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists#dnsbl-block
 > for more information. [34.212.96.103 listed in list.dnswl.org] -0.0
 > SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML
 > included in message

The sentence about querying DNSWL is a bit weird, but I don't think
it's a problem.  That check was just skipped.

The rest is perfectly normal and is not symptomatic of a problem.

 > The link in the messages is https://www.codepublishing.com/AK/Nome/ .

That link is never going to cause a problem.

 > I can post more of the header if need be.
 >
 > Could it be that GCI needs to whitelist or something?

Not enough information.  It sounds like either or both the city and
GCI have difficulty with email since it's that particular combination,
but which one is whack I can't tell without a look at the delivery
status notice (bounce message) for the mass bounces.  This is often in
your mail server's log as well.

Steve