[Mailman-Users] Handling Munged From Addresses

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 27 13:17:24 EST 2020

On 2/27/2020 12:58 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 2/27/20 7:22 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> I think this may have been addressed but I can't find it. Now that I am
>> munging the from address to mitigate DMARC, recipients can no longer
>> tell who the message is from. What are other folks doing to handle that?
>> Other than having list members add their own signature? Thanks.
>
> The From: header in the munged message contains the sender's display
> name as in
>
> From: Jane Doe via ListName <listname at example.com>
>
> and depending on list settings the original From: is in either Reply-To:
> or Cc:.
>
> If this is not sufficient, perhaps the recipients can use smarter email
> clients ;)
>
> Also, if you are Munging the From: on all messages via the from_is_list
> setting, it is better to use dmarc_moderation_action for this so only
> those From: headers that need it are munged. The only reason to use
> from_is_list is if those users whose domains publish DMARC reject or
> quarantine policy feel they are singled out and treated as second class
> users.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing that. The From: looks like this:

From: Rushtalk Discussion List via Rushtalk <rushtalk at csdco.com>

In "General Options" for that list I set the item "Replace the From:
header address with the list's posting address to mitigate issues
stemming from the original From: domain's DMARC or similar policies."
with "Munge From." Did I set the wrong thing?