[Mailman-Users] Server Migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 14 12:09:52 EST 2020

On 2/14/20 7:49 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Another issue with these servers. The admin says 'pip3' was used to
> install mailman. I thought 'pip' was a python installer.

Some distros call pip for Python 3 pip3.

> Unfortunately I
> cannot find where it put the stuff. So the documentation that specifies
> $prefix is of no use since I don't know what that is. This is RHEL so
> does anyone know where things wind up? Specifically I'm looking for all
> the icons to copy to my httpd directory. TIA

And neither can I. I know nothing about any Mailman 3 packages for RHEL
nor do I know what decisions the packager/installer made. You can find
information about Mailman core with

mailman info --verbose

This will tell you about Mailman Core, but not Django (Hyperkitty and
Postorius). For those, if you look at the django-admin command, it will
probably set PYTHONPATH and DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE. The name of the
DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE with a .py extension added is a file in
PYTHONPATH which contains the base settings for Hyperkitty and Postorius
and it probably also imports a local settings module (.py file) that
contains local overrides.

If Mailman was installed in a virtualenv, most software things will be
in that virtualenv in places like bin/ and lib/python.x.y/site-packages

What documentation are you looking at? Nothing I know of for Mailman 3
mentions $prefix or icons to be copied to your web server.

I am very confused over what you are trying to do. On the one hand, you
appear to be migrating lists to a server with Mailman 3 already
installed, and on the other you are asking about things that only an
installer should be concerned with