[Mailman-Users] Do sender filters apply to subscription requests?

Gretchen M Beck cmupythia at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 17 15:24:38 EDT 2019

Hi Kevin,

No, the Sender Filters do not apply to subscription requests.

If you are having problem with spamming subscription requests, mailman (at least the mailman 2.1* and up) give you a few options to help:

   1) You can use your regexp in the banlist -- list of addresses that are banned from subscribing to your list. One address per line, and for a regexp, start the address with ^. (Under Privacy options, Subscription Rules)

   2) Do you need to advertise your list?  If not, taking the name off your sites public "here's my lists" page might help. Also under Privacy options, Subscription Rule)

   3) Finally, unless you need to be notified immediately when a message is held for moderation, or of subscription requests, on most sites you can opt to get a daily notification of all things held for the list owner/admin, rather than getting each as they are delivered (General options, admin_immed_notify). While this won't cut down on spammy stuff directly, it will cut down on the noise and annoyance factor.

--Gretchen

Gretchen Beck

Carnegie Mellon