[Mailman-Users] No archive files but 2 lists taking up 50MB in cPanel?

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Thu Oct 3 12:41:44 EDT 2019

On 10/3/19 12:07 PM, Bryan Teague wrote:
> Tom,
>
> It isn’t that Mark is being unhelpful, it is that cpanel doess some … odd things with the packages that they bring into their ecosystem.  Most of the people on the mailman list are system admins, or at the very least, people who have command line access to the servers that run their mailman installations.
>
> When I was running mailman lists through cPanel,  I found the cpanel forums to be  a great help, along with the documentation and information found on the support site for cpanel.  (Both of those links are contained in the second paragraph of the page for your convenience I included them here)
>
> http://forums.cpanel.net/ <http://forums.cpanel.net/>
>
> http://support.cpanel.net/ <http://support.cpanel.net/>
>
> As to your specific problem of the private archives this is what I found when I looked at one of my cpanel installations:
>
> https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/82Docs/Mailing+Lists
> https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/82Docs/Archive
>
> Hope this helps to clarify the issues for you.
>
> Bryan Teague
> Senior Web Administrator,
> Library and Web Services
> Information Technology Services
> Maher Hall 196
> 5998 Alcalá Park
> San Diego, CA 92110-2492
> Work: 619.260.7842
> Cell: 619.321.7288
> bryant at sandiego.edu>
>> On Oct 3, 2019, at 8:47 AM, Tom Corcoran <boardtc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I came to this group as my isp said they would not support a 3rd party.
>>
>> I'm confused, Mark. I printed out the link you sent me but I was
>> dumbfounded when I read through it now that there was nothing about
>> clearing out the 50MB and an unhelpful page more or less telling people to
>> leave the group alone :-(
>>
>> Would someone on this group willing to try and help me retrieve my precious
>> 50MB?
>>
>> Thanks!

>>> recover
>>> See the FAQ at <https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Mailman%20and%20CPanel>.

Hi Tom,

I have provided Mailman hosting via cPanel for many years now. I
apologize for not responding earlier to your request. I know exactly
what is taking up that space: attachments. Mailman takes message
attachments and stores them in an attachment directory that is part of
the Mailman file structure. This directory cannot be access via a normal
cPanel user. It requires root access. We have clients who from time to
time ask us to reduce their disk usage by clearing out their attachment
directory which we are happy to do.

Personally I would like invite you to check us out at https://emwd.com
as I think your host did you wrong when they said they would not support
a 3rd party. If they are a cPanel host then Mailman is part of cPanel
and therefore should be supported.

--
Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you for your business. We appreciate our clients.
Brian Carpenter
EMWD.com

--
EMWD's Knowledgebase: