[Mailman-Users] Munge-from "From:" addresses and address auto-complete

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Nov 15 13:13:51 EST 2019

On 11/14/19 3:36 PM, Dan Halbert wrote:

> Is there some configuration I can set up that can alter these "From:"
> addresses to avoid putting the person's name first, but still including
> it? Or is there some other way to ameliorate this problem? We could
> choose something other than "Munge-from", but we do not want to lose the
> identity of the sender, which is worse.
>
> We are using a third-party provider and have no direct control over the
> formatting of the rewritten "From:" header; I would change the Mailman
> code directly if I could.

Changing the format of the munged From: header would require changes to
the code in Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py. There's no way to do this
with list configuration settings.

The only other thing you could do is not apply DMARC mitigations to the
From: header and set your list to not make DKIM breaking transformations
to the message. See item 2) at <https://wiki.list.org/x/17891458>.