[Mailman-Users] DMARC message wrapping not working

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 20 11:34:47 EDT 2019

On 5/19/19 1:13 PM, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> I've got a mailman 2.1.26 install I've taken over.  I've attempted to turn
> on DMARC message wrapping by setting DEFAULT_DMARC_MODERATION_ACTION in my
> mm_cfg.py file, but it doesn't seem to have had the desired effect.  I'm
> still seeing messages from p=reject domains going out with their original
> headers, and subscribers being blocked as a result of the bounces.

Setting that in mm_cfg.py only affects lists created after you make the
change. For existing lists, you have to change the list's configuration.

> The docs say this sets a minimum bar for the per-list configurations, but
> when I go to look at those they're all still set to 0/Accept, and in the
> web UI the full range of options is still available.

The doc says "Whatever is set as the default here precludes the list
owner from setting a lower value." It doesn't say that if you set a
value here, existing list settings will be increased automatically.

If you go to the web UI for a list and just click Submit Your Changes,
you will get "Error: dmarc_moderation_action must be >= the configured
default value." at the top of the page and the setting will be changed.

Or, I just created <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/set_dmarc.py>
(mirrored at <https://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/set_dmarc.py>) which
you can copy to Mailman's bin/ directory and run via Mialman's

  bin/withlist -r set_dmarc -a

and it will increase dmarc_moderation_action to
DEFAULT_DMARC_MODERATION_ACTION if necessary for all lists.