[Mailman-Users] Soft deactivation of Digest mode

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 18 12:19:11 EDT 2019

On 5/17/19 5:07 AM, Per Starbäck wrote:
> (I'm using Mailman 2.1.29.)
>
> I would like to eventually remove Digest mode from a couple of lists,
> but I don't want to interfere with users who currently use it.
>
> Can I remove the choice for new members, but still keep the digests
> working? I guess just removing the lines about it in the listinfo page
> and the personal member page for regular subscribers would suffice for
> me, if that can be achieved.

Unfortunately, setting Digest options -> digestable to No won't do what
you want because while this will do all the right things like remove the
digest settings from the user options page and the listinfo subscribe
form and prevent subscribing in digest mode, e.g. by email, it also
prevents messages from being accumulated for the digest.

You can go to the list admin "Edit the public HTML pages and text files"
link and edit the General list information page and the User specific
options page. On the former, you would remove all the lines between the
<mm-digest-question-start> and <mm-digest-question-end> tags, but not
the tags themselves, and on the latter remove the two <tr> entries
between <!--Start-Digests-Delete--> and <!--End-Digests-Delete-->, but
while this will remove those things from the web UI, it won't prevent
subscribing to the digest or setting digest by email command.

I suggest you just set digestable to No and edit
Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py to change lines 82-84 from

    # Short circuit non-digestable lists.
    if not mlist.digestable or msgdata.get('isdigest'):
        return

    # Short circuit digests.
    if msgdata.get('isdigest'):
        return