[Mailman-Users] Why are mails not being sent to all users (mails seem to disappear)?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 9 17:33:22 EDT 2019

On 5/9/19 2:06 PM, Till Dörges wrote:

> I will try with VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL set to 1, to see whether all messages are
> accounted for then.
>
> IIRC, setting VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1 effectively means to ignore SMTP_MAX_RCPTS
> and only submit 1 mail at a time to the MTA.

That's correct.

> Curiously for the message that was not delivered to the specific user I did /not/
> find a message by Postfix like the following in /var/log/mail:
>
> --- snip ---
> ... to=<LISTADDR>, relay=local, delay=0.58, delays=0.01/0/0/0.57, dsn=2.0.0,
> status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post <LIST>)
> --- snap ---
>
> To me that looks as if Postfix did in deed not complete sending all messages.

That message is delivery of the original incoming post to Mailman.  That
message should be logged at the time Mailman received the message.
I.e., in Mailman's smtp log you see a time stamp and the smtp to list
for 416 recipients in n.nnn seconds. The arrival time is a bit before
the time stamp - n.nnn seconds.

> I will monitor the situation with these reduced rate settings applied.

OK.