[Mailman-Users] User doesn't get added to mailinglist

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 1 22:01:21 EST 2019

On 2/14/19 10:11 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 2/14/19 7:13 AM, Pascal Christen wrote:
>>
>> Ok I got it. I've just reviewed the patch
>> (https://launchpadlibrarian.net/379908276/patch.txt) for CVE-2018-13796
>> and found that line:
>>
>> +            longest = max([len(x) for x in list_names()])
>>

>> So at every request it gets ALL lists and saves the length of the
>> longest list into "longest". This works well if you have 1 list, but
>> what if you have about 10'000? Not very well guys :D

I have done two things which are committed at
<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/revision/1807>
I changed the code to call list_names() only once instead of twice, and
I implemented a MAX_LISTNAME_LENGTH setting which if set > 0 is taken as
the longest list name and avoids calling list_names() at all.

I'd still like to understand what the underlying issue is if it's not
just a browser time out.