[Mailman-Users] Could Mailman apply "munge from" in less cases?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 17 21:44:37 EDT 2019

On 6/17/19 2:51 PM, Ian Kelling wrote:
> For example, "munge from" is applied only to messages from domains that
> publish a DMARC policy of 'reject' or 'quarantine'. However, if the
> message mailman is sending has a valid DKIM signature because there is
> no footer or subject prefix and no other edge cases, there is no reason
> to munge, because it will pass the DMARC check. It seems Mailman could
> do that.

It can. If your list makes no transformations that break DMARC, just set
dmarc_moderation_action to Accept.

There is still a potential issue if you do that if the sender's domain
doesn't DKIM sign the message and relies on SPF (which any forwarding
will break) to pass DMARC, but my experience is very few if any domains
that publish a DMARC policy do not DKIM sign their mail.