[Mailman-Users] What to do about SPF rejection?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at domainmail.org
Mon Jun 17 13:01:31 EDT 2019

On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 12:47 -0400, John Levine wrote:
> In article <e328f9e0-40c9-53ec-2988-4e5ddc0ac80b at gmail.com> you write:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I today saw three bounces where the receiving mail server had said:
> >
> > host mail.gfbv.de[185.199.217.16] said: 550 external MTA
> >    sending our header From:  XXXX <XXX at gfbv.de> (in reply to
> >    end of DATA command)
> >
> > The SPF record for gfbv.de is
> >
> > gfbv.de.		86400	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 mx a:epicmail1.newsaktuell.net ~all"
> >
> > I am not sure, whether mailman 2 has any workaround for this like for
> > the DMARC issue
> >
> > Can anyone spot, whether there is something wrong with the SPF record?
> > Whose fault is it?
>
> Theirs.  That message says they apparently have a policy of rejecting
> any incoming mail with their domain on the From: line.  They can do
> that if they want, but it means that none of their users can
> participate in mailing lists.
>
> I suppose you could further screw up your list and do DMARC rewrites
> even for domains without DMARC policies, but I'd suggest contacting
> whoever is subscribed there and encourage him or her to subscribe from
> an address that isn't gratuitiously hostile to mailing lists.

I've experienced similar before, some people work for large companies
that outsource email policies to others^widiots.  I wrote the patch
below, which was merged into v2.1.29, specifically to address for such
idiotic policies.

https://code.launchpad.net/~jimpop/mailman/dmarc-moderation-addresses/+merge/359963

-Jim P.