[Mailman-Users] What to do about SPF rejection?

Johannes Rohr jorohr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 10:43:33 EDT 2019

Dear all,

I today saw three bounces where the receiving mail server had said:

host mail.gfbv.de[185.199.217.16] said: 550 external MTA
    sending our header From:  XXXX <XXX at gfbv.de> (in reply to
    end of DATA command)

The SPF record for gfbv.de is

gfbv.de.		86400	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 mx a:epicmail1.newsaktuell.net ~all"

I am not sure, whether mailman 2 has any workaround for this like for
the DMARC issue

Can anyone spot, whether there is something wrong with the SPF record?
Whose fault is it?

My mailman instance has its own spf record:

lists.ilo169.de.    9531    IN    TXT    "v=spf1 mx a ip4:5.9.62.175 ~all"

I am not familiar with the spf syntax, so I can't tell whether it is our
fault or theirs.

At first glace, it would look to me as if the solution would be similar
to the DMARC workaround, that is to swap the original From: address with
the list address. But again, mailman offers this option only for DMARC
issues.

Does anyone have advice for me?

Thanks so much in advance,

Johannes