[Mailman-Users] incorrect spam labelling

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 31 14:49:03 EST 2019

On 1/31/19 7:04 AM, editor at visionscience.com wrote:
> Not sure if this is a mailman issue, but…
>
> Occasionally as moderator I see messages in which "***SPAM*** “ has been prepended to the subject line.
> The messages are not spam.
> I do not want to send them out to the list like that but cannot edit the subject line.
> Is there anything I can do?

Yes, but it's cumbersome, particularly if you don't have good tools, but
here's a way.

In the admindb interface discard the held message, but also check the
'Forward messages (individually) to:' box and enter your own address, or
if you received an immediate notification of the held message that
includes the message, you can skip the forward.

Now, one way or the other, you have an email containing a copy of the
message. Save that email or open it in a way that you can view the raw
message. From that raw message, extract (edit out other parts or
copy/paste) the raw original message, and then edit that to 'fix' the
subject and also remove certain problem headers. For example, if the
Mailman server MTA is Postfix, you need to remove the 'Delivered-To:
<list address>' header or Postfix won't deliver this one to the list.

I typically remove the Return-Path:, X-Original-To: and Delivered-To:
headers from the top of the message.

Now you resend that message to the list. If you have a 'sendmail'
command on your workstation you can just do

sendmail -f listname-bounces at list.domain listname at list.domain < file

where 'file' contains the edited message. If you don't have 'sendmail',
some MUAs will allow you to open the message and resend or 'bounce' it
back to the list.

Also, there is a very old patch at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/557995> which enables editing
the headers and message body directly in the admindb interface. If you
have the ability to patch Mailman, this may work for you. I have updated
the patch so it applies cleanly to current Mailman, but it is not tested.