[Mailman-Users] incorrect spam labelling

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Jan 31 13:45:46 EST 2019

editor at visionscience.com writes:

 > Not sure if this is a mailman issue, but…

It's not, although possibly Mailman can help mitigate it.

 > Occasionally as moderator I see messages in which "***SPAM*** “ has
 > been prepended to the subject line.  The messages are not spam.  I
 > do not want to send them out to the list like that but cannot edit
 > the subject line.  Is there anything I can do?

Not with only moderator privileges.  Stock Mailman doesn't modify
messages in the moderation queue in that way.  So the spam label has
been attached by some other application, or by modifying Mailman to
call a spam checker.

You may be able to get some help from your mail administrator, who can
tune the spam checker to make fewer errors, or whitelist your
subscribers, or something along those lines.

If you can configure and add code to the Mailman system, it would be
possible to add code to remove the offending text from the Subject
automatically.  (You don't have to modify any of the stock Mailman
code, so in that sense this is "safe".)  There may be other
indications of "spamminess" that should be removed as well, hidden in
the header.

If you can configure/add code to Mailman and want help with the
programming, please send a copy of the header portion of such a post
so we can see all of the the potential spamminess indicators.

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information