[Mailman-Users] Automatic subscription based on e-mail subject

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 31 12:47:30 EST 2019

On 1/31/19 2:11 AM, R. Diez via Mailman-Users wrote:

> Other forum software has a nice feature for this scenario: If I post to
> a subject, I am automatically subscribed to that subject. I then get an
> e-mail for any new posts with the same subject.
>
> The "topic" feature in Mailman is different. Very few people use it. I
> need something based on the e-mail subject.
>
> Is there any way to achieve that with Mailman?

Systers Mailman has a 'dlist' (dynamic sublists) feature which may be
what you want. This is mentioned at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2010-August/070057.html>.
That post is old and the repo at <https://launchpad.net/systers>
mentioned therein is also old, but it still exists although the
documentation links in the post and the README files in the repo are all
broken.

We have been looking at dlists or something similar for Mailman 3, and
Systers also has done Mailman 3 work (see <https://github.com/systers>).

You may be able to port the changes from <https://launchpad.net/systers>
to more current Mailman, or perhaps contact Systers for more
information. It appears they are still using a Mailman 2.1.12 version
with their changes. I.e., see <http://systers.org/mailman/listinfo/>.