[Mailman-Users] Restoring manually backed-up archives into cPanel installation?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 10:07:29 EST 2019

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 08:20:21AM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 1/14/19 4:02 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to migrate a group of Mailman lists onto a new shared hosting provider. I do not have direct access to the original system; the sysadmin there has given me a full tarball of the mailman directory, including the archives/, data/, and lists/ subdirectories.
>

> Yes and No.
>
> There is some info at
> <https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Mailman%20and%20CPanel>. The most important
> thing is that the 'mailman' directory in cPanel is at
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman.
>
> Importing archives is not a problem. Importing lists is an issue because
> of cPanel's appending the domain to the internal listname, so you can't
> just drop a mailman/lists/LISTNAME/config.pck into cPanel, even if yo
> put it in
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/LISTNAME_DOMAIN/config.pck,
> because the internal name in the config.pck is wrong.

Thank you (and to Brian Carpenter for his separate reply). I do not have access to the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty directory myself. However, the hosting provider has said that they can put the archives in the right location here; the hard thing is, as you say, getting the lists themselves in place. Rather than trying something that's probably impossible with the access I have, I'll just redo the lists manually and then get the archives set.

I do hope this goes OK; I feel like it would have been relatively straightforward if I were using a dedicated server instead of a shared system, but I'm getting this set up for someone with no computer skills, and they need something like a shared, supported environment with something like cPanel for when I'm not around to maintain it.